Chaat is a staple in any Pakistani kitchen. It’s aromatic smell and distinctive taste has made it a favourite as a starter among South Asian restaurant’s. Although there are many varieties, my favourite is samosa chaat as this combines crunchy and soft, hot and cold – All in one delicious dish.
– 2 large vegetable samosas
– 400g tinned chickpeas
– 1 Red onion
– 1 large tomato
– 1 cup tamarind sauce
– Juice of 1 lemon
– Chaat masala
– Chaat papdi
1. Drain the chickpeas and place in a bowl. Cut the red onion and tomato into small pieces and mix with the chickpeas.
2. Squeeze the juice of one lemon into the chickpea mix. Remove seeds, add 1 leveled tablespoon of chaat masala, and mix well.
3. Cut the samosas into bite sized chunks, and place these on top of the chickpeas. Cover the mixture in 2/3 cup of tamarind sauce.
4. Turn the oven on gas mark 5. Heat the mix in the oven for 20 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.
5. Once removed from the oven, cover the mix in a generous layer of cool yoghurt. Sprinkle with a crushed handful of chaat papdi and some chaat masala. Serve immeditely.