These indulgent dates are a favourite of mine, and are commonly found around my home during Ramadan and Eid. They are great for sharing and make a lovely gift when packaged well.
Makes 12 – 15
– 15 whole dates, pitted
– 100g dark chocolate
– 15 almonds or cashews
– Crushed almonds
– Desiccated coconut
1. Place an almond or cashew within each date and close the date tightly.
2. Cut the chocolate into small pieces and place in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, pour some boiling water and carefully place the smaller bowl inside this. Stir the chocolate to ensure that it melts evenly.
3. Using a fork, dip each date into the melted chocolate until fully and evenly coated.
4. Place the coated dates onto a sheet of greaseproof paper. Once all the dates have been covered, sprinkled them with the crushed almonds and desiccated coconut.
5. Place in the fridge for 1 hour or until the chocolate has solidified.
This recipe works with a variety of dates. I used khudari dates, bur for a more succulent bite, use medjool dates. You can also switch the fillings and toppings – orange peel and pistachios work well.