Za’atar is one of my favourite ingredients. It’s perfect for breakfast with some pita and lubneh, drizzled with some olive oil. Mmm.
Here’s a simple recipe that really brings out the flavours of the fragrant herb mix, accompanied with a side of fragrant spicy rice and cool yoghurt.
– 4 Chicken breasts
– 4 heaped tablespoons Za’atar
– Olive oil
– 1.5 cups brown rice
– 1 Red onion, finely chopped
– 1 tsp cumin
– Salt and pepper
1. Drizzle the chicken breasts in olive oil, then coat in za’atar. Place to the side to marinate for 1 hour.
2. Heat the oven to gas mark 6. Place the chicken breasts in a baking tray, covered with tin foil. Place in the oven for half an hour.
3. Meanwhile, heat a thin layer of oil in a pan. Add the onions, and fry until these are softened. Add the cumin, salt and pepper, and stir.
4. Add the brown rice to the frying pan and mix well. Add 2 cups of water to the rice, and bring to the boil. When boiling, turn to a low heat and cover for 25 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through.
5. Remove the chicken from the oven and serve with the rice and a side of cool yoghurt.