One of my goals this Ramadan was to make Iftar for my family, so when I saw this recipe I thought that it would be the perfect meal to start. The dish contains the classic Moroccan ingredients of harissa and cumin, while the dates give it sweetness, and the aubergine balances the flavours well.
Serves 4 – 6
– 4 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized chunks
– 2 cups basmati rice
– 2 aubergines, cut into bite sized pieces
– 12 dates, pitted and sliced
– 1 medium onion, cut into small pieces
– 4 tsp harissa paste
– 4 tsp garlic and ginger puree
– 3 tsp cumin
– Juice of one orange
– 160ml chicken stock
– Pinch of salt and pepper
1. Heat the oven to gas mark 6.
2. In a bowl, mix together the chicken, aubergine, dates, onion, harissa paste, garlic and ginger, cumin, juice of one orange, salt and pepper. Ensure that everything is coated evenly in the spices.
3. Bring the chicken stock to the boil.
4. Thoroughly wash the rice in cold water, and then place this in an even layer in an oven-proof dish. Pour the chicken stock over the rice, and place the chicken mixture on top of this.
5. Place the dish into the oven for 40 minutes, uncovered. Once cooked, remove from the oven and serve.
This dish works well with a side salad and some greek yoghurt.